Thursday, August 14, 2008



Chocolate Gravy

When I was a kid, my grandma would make us a special treat every now and then that she called "Chocolate Gravy." She learned most of her recipes from my great grandmother who traveled across the country in a covered wagon. Grandma died about twelve years ago and I assumed the recipe died with her.

About a year ago, my favorite Uncle Mike died, and as the family was sorting through his things they found a box full of recipes. It turns out that whenever my uncle stopped by to see his mom ( my grandma), he would ask her about some old recipes that she had memorized and he would write them down. He preserved a lot of family favorites that would have otherwise been lost. One of those favorites was Chocolate Gravy.

I took the time the other night to make this recipe and good lord was it sinful! You can dip biscuits in it or simply eat it like pudding. I'm posting the recipe here for posterity's sake.

CHOCOLATE GRAVY
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir dry ingredients together. Mix in milk slowly. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Add butter and vanilla. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve. This recipe makes two bowls like the one in the photo.


It won't take long before the bowl looks like this.



1 comment:

Bryan May said...

I love chocolate gravy, Otis! Growing up, my mom would make it for my sister and me, but only once a week (usually on Sunday morning). I could have eaten it everyday, though. But my mom never put vanilla in it.

When it was ready to eat, my mom would scoop it into bowls, then we would break up homemade biscuits into it and eat 'em up! So good. My mom's family is from central Kentucky, and everyone there seems to love it.